20 Oct 2011

PISSED OFF!

I read some advice at the weekend about not writing while you are angry.


This doesn’t sound like good advice to me. If one doesn’t write while they are angry should we resist from writing when we are sad, depressed, melancholic or joyous? It seems to me the best art comes from a myriad of emotions.


I haven’t written on my blog for a long while. Very sporadically actually but recently when I have sat down to write I seem to be always drawn back to creativity or thoughts on why we sit and muster up images, words or semitones in our head and I have come to the simple conclusion on why millions of us do this on a daily basis.


Because you need to.


You don’t really have a choice.


You need to create new things. You need to continue to explore the endless possibilities that art holds. 


You wake up and if you don’t sing at some point during the day you feel like you will explode.


Or if you don’t write you will continue to suppress the thoughts that could change the world.


Not creating is killing you.


When you feel like that, you are creative and you should do something about it. Namely create.


That’s why some bands struggle with the difficult second album syndrome. They have created something successful the first time around and so they try to recreate it. While they should really be focusing on creating something new and fresh. They aren’t really creating at all.


That’s why some pastors leave their churches to make tv shows in Hollywood. It’s not that they don’t care about or regret their previous existence. They just need to explore the side that, and let’s not forget this, God handed them.


And that’s why I sit here slightly pissed off at myself. Pissed off that I haven’t been doing that. Not moving to Hollywood. 


But creating. 


If being pissed off means that I, and all of us, let go and come out with our voice and our song and change the world and help someone, then I say better to be angry and create than happy and not follow who you are. 


Because ultimately, even if it is painful, creating will satisfy you.


Isn’t that something we should get angry about?




Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More